Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Calibration Critique- Erin Jeuther

Hello Elizabeth, My name is Erin Jeuther and I am in Dr. Ciganko's criticism and aesthetics class.  Recently we took a trip to visit the Graduate Show and I was immediately drawn to your painting 'Calibration'.  Dr. Ciganko asked us to write up our first impressions and feelings that came from the paintings.  I would welcome any response to what I had to say about your painting, insight, or corrections of my theory of your work.  Your response would be greatly appreciated especially since after hearing my fellow classmates I quickly realized that some of the things that I had thought others did not agree with. 

When I first looked at this piece I was drawn to the colors, they are vibrant on a black background.  The colors to me are relatively warm with mixed cools.  There is a young boy in the upper left side with what appears to be something along the lines of graffiti surrounding him like pooled liquid words.  These words travel up the right side of the painting and travel right into or out of the child's right ear.  I think emotionally I am drawn to this because of the imagery of the boy - I also really enjoy the very strong and bold strokes that were used.  This painting is very loud and in your face but comes at you with a subdued sort of loudness, somber as a relfection of the young boys face.  Could this boy be being built by what he hears - or as a young growing artists are these beautiful marks and curves and painterly strokes of color coming from within, some sort of inner beauty and complex thoughts.  
So many questions could be asked of this painting.  Some of the emotions that really come out of me when I view this painting, such as puzzlement, because of the intestine twisted looking graffiti coming out of or building up the young boy. I also am hit with some sort of sympathy because of the boys face, he seems to be confused and maybe in some sort of distress the more that I look at him.  A person this young maybe should not have to be dealing with the situation that he is in currently in that state that he is being depicted and it certainly makes me feel somber even with the chaotic nature of the lines and curves consuming the painting.  

I would welcome your statement on what your thoughts are on this work, some sort of rebuttal or clarification on what your thoughts were on creating this piece.  Thank you very much! 

Erin Jeuther

No comments:

Post a Comment